2012 Jim Thorn Photo
2015 Birthday Boy
2014 Silver Cup
2016 Industry Award
2016 Industry Awards
2016 Gumball Rally
Track Director - Industry Racing
2017 Friend of the AMA Award
Rider Number: 131
Hometown: Costa Mesa, California - USA
Place of Birth: California - USA
Date of Birth: February 21, 1968
Occupation: Director Industry Racing
Relatives in Speedway:
Web Site or Facebook Page:
Date Started Speedway: 1982 - 1989
Reason to Race Speedway:
Goals or Ambitions for Speedway:
Photos by: Jim Thorn, RC Jones, Scott Daloisio
USA: IMS - Costa Mesa - Victorville - Ascot - Others
Friend of the AMA Award: Kelly Inman is a longtime promoter of speedway racing who is equally avid in his support of the AMA and its mission. His company, Industry Racing, won the 2014 AMA Track Racing Organizer of the Year. Inman recognizes that the sport needs new, young talent to survive and has done an exemplary job putting together races for the younger riders.
“It is quite an honor to be recognized, and given the ‘Friend of AMA Award,’” Inman said. “I graciously accept the award, and need to say that this award represents my whole team at Industry Racing/Speedway at the Grand, and their commitment to help make AMA speedway so great. I have always had a great working relationship with the AMA and am proud to be affiliated with them in the promotion of world class speedway motorcycle racing. Thank you for another great award from AMA, I am truly proud.”
The apple didn’t fall far from the tree. Mom Shirley ran the pits at Ascot, Costa Mesa and Glen Helen for 28 years. Dad Bob sold parts at the track, pitted for Alan Christian and sponsored Billy Hamill in the early days of his European career; Inman is a respected name in Speedway racing. Continuing the family tradition Kelly’s credentials are just as impeccable.
• 1968 - Started going to Speedway with mom and dad
• 1972 - Gene Woods moves in next door. At 14 he becomes Woods pit man.
• 1982 - First 500cc bike. Practices daily with local racer and friend Greg Hancock at Indian Dunes. Their 35-year-old friendship remains true.
• 1984 – Races Speedway four nights a week and ICE in the off-season.
• 1989 - Seriously injured during Handicap Main event at Ascot ends racing career.
• 1991 – Starts sponsoring riders.
• 1992 – Starts pitting full time. Works with Steve Russell, Scotty Brant, Chris Manchester, Greg Hancock, Kelly Moran, Josh Larsen, Jason Crump, and Tyson Burmeister. Puts ten U.S. National titles under his belt as the mechanic.
• 1993 to 1998 - Races Pro Formula 125 shifter carts
• 1998 - Races Sprint cars at Irwindale Speedway
• 1999 - Races Sprint cars at Perris Auto Speedway
• 1996-1999 – Team Manager X Factory Top Fuel Hydro Drag Boat.
• 1999 – Races "Ultra Wheels" spec trucks
• 2005 -2006 – Industry Speedway co-promoter at The Grand, City of Industry.
• Co promoted the World Famous Gumball Rally with Billy Hamill
• Currently runs Specialized Powder and Ceramic Coating